We all know that the European weather, however beautiful it may be, is prone to change at the drop of a ‘hat’. Ever since Dior and Gucci have championed their hats in wool and leather, this accessory has emerged as a must have for fall- winter season. Hats are the most noticeable and have an effortless nature. As the old saying goes, ‘if you want to get ahead and get noticed, get a hat’. Whether protecting your face from harmful UV rays or managing a bad hair day with grace, hats are absolutely necessary. These are major styling pieces that can easily up your fashion game. I’m sharing below my top favorite picks of the season that might encourage you to try your hands at these absolute beauties:
- Fedora Hats: A fedora hat has a wide brim, is pinched near the front on both sides and usually has a silk ribbon around the base. These hats are thought of usually as a menswear staple, but history confirms that these were popular amongst females too since the women’s rights movement adopted it as a symbol. Wooooah! Even celebs like Taylor Swift and Lindsay Lohan have been seen sporting these bold, gangsta style Hats. You can pair this hat with poker straight hair or a chic boho-inspired side braid.
- Baseball caps: Baseball cap is a soft cap with stiff peak projecting in front. This cap has a rounded crown and is fastened in the back with an adjuster made of plastic or elastic. Aside from the fact that they look cute, they’re great for protecting your face from the sun. Its ‘uber cool’ street style appeal has made it to the top favorites of the millennials. A lot of rappers and Hip Hop artists like Rihanna have a special affinity to these caps; call it the ‘no paparazzi shield’ eh. This sporty trend is actually a wardrobe must have since it can be worn with anything, is a great selfie prop and a perfect all – year round accessory.
- Sun Hats/ Panama Hats: A sun hat typically has a wider brim specially designed to protect your face, neck and shoulders from the sun. This traditional hat can be made from a variety of materials like fiber, straw or plaited leaves of the palm like plant. Also known as field hats or beach hats, these are perfect for the scorching breezy beach breaks. Lightweight, light-colored and breathable, these hats are a perfect accessory for floral sun dresses. Miranda Kerr likes to style her Panama hat with a pretty free- flowing dress and sandals for a perfect off-duty look. The proper Panama hats are made in Ecuador and not Panama, so make sure to check label before buying.
- Fur Hats/ Ushankas: A fur hat also called as Ushanka is a Russian cap with ear flaps. The standard modern Ushanka with a perfectly round crown was developed in the 20th century. This cozy looking hat comes in different materials and designs, so animal lovers/ vegans can opt for synthetic fur instead of the real fur. Variations of this stylish and functional headgear can be witnessed in the NY Fall Fashion Week. If you are looking for a warm yet fashionable hat for chilling winters, a fur hat is definitely going to be your savior. You can style this hat with a woolen coat and thigh high suede boots for that ultimate fashion runway look.
- Beanies: A beanie is a small, rounded cap that snugs your head properly. This cap is brimless, versatile and can be styled in a variety of ways to create different looks. A beanie cap gives you the chance to look effortless and stylish at the same time. The easiest way to wear a beanie is to pull the cap down to cover most of your forehead and ears. Comfortable and warm, these caps are quintessential for cold weather. A bright-colored beanie with a silk scarf and jeans would be your bestie on a cold and dull day.
- Berets: A beret is a soft, round flat crowned hat that can be woven or hand-knitted. In Western fashion, men and women have worn this accessory since the 1920s as a sportswear and later as a fashion statement. From the Paris Fashion Week and Dior’s fall 2017 runway to the likes of Bella Hadid and fashion influencers, this dainty accessory has made its way to top fashion trends. You can rock a classic black beret on one side or sport a badass leather beret in Dior fashion.
- Bobble hats: A bobble hat is a warm, insulating cap with a spherical decorative fluff at the top. These pom- pom topped beanies look super cute and can act as an icing on the top of any outfit. These are chic, trendy and have a festive feel to them- perfect for the evening coffee date. Make sure to check that the pom- pom fur is synthetic if you prefer your hats to be cruelty free. Rock a bobble with ripped denims and an over-sized jumper to nail the perfect winter look.
Please comment below and let me know your favorites of the season!